Captain Upgrades and Add-ons
Upgrades are for increasing the value of your license. In brief, Columbia Pacific (ColPac) Maritime we offer several captain license upgrades for your ease. Firstly, to qualify for an upgrade, you must meet the requirements of the higher-level license. However, you may use the experience that you have already documented as well as any new experience you have. Accordingly, these Captain License Upgrades fall into three basic groups; Raise in grade, increase in scope, and adds.
Captain License Raise in Grade
Firstly, raise in grade. To explain this upgrade will increase the authority of the license. For example, going from an OUPV to Master, or Master 25-ton to Master 50-ton is a raise in grade. Lastly, some raise in grades require exams, and others do not.
Raise in grades that DO NOT require exams
For Master 200-ton and less captain licenses there are two raise in grades that do not require exams.
- Firstly, you may increase the tonnage on a Master or Mate license from 25 to 50, or 50 to 100 by gaining experience on larger boats (46 CFR 11.422). No exams are required.
- Secondly, you can go from Mate to Master without changing the tonnage or route on the license without taking an exam.
Raise in grades that require exams
In contrast, you must pass exams or complete an approved class to go from OUPV to Master. Or to go from 100 to 200-ton. We offer two raise in grade classes. To clarify, these classes will not change the route on the license.
- OUPV to Master 25, 50, or 100-ton (4-days / $600).
- Master or Mate 100-ton or less to Master or Mate 200-tons (4-days / $600).
Captain License Increase in Scope
Secondly, increase in scope. This upgrade is for increasing the route of the license. The most common is going from an Inland to a Near Coastal route. We off three classes for increase in scope of a license. To clarify, these classes will not change the authority of the license.
- OUPV Inland to Near Coastal (4-days, $600).
- Master or Mate 25, 50, 100, or 200-ton Inland to Near Coastal (4-days, $600).
- Celestial Navigation (200-tons) for upgrading a Master or Mate 200-ton or less Near Coastal to All Oceans (5-days, $800).
Lastly, add-ons add another license to the MMC. The most common example is adding Commercial Assistance Towing to an existing OUPV or Master license. We offer three license add-on classes.
- Commercial Assistance Towing (4-hours / $100).
- Auxiliary Sailing (4-hours / $100).
- Apprentice Mate (steersman) of Towing (2-days / $400)
Please call if you have any questions or would like to schedule a class. 503-841-6066. Or visit our website >>