How to get a 6-pack license

How to get a 6 pack license

How to get a 6 pack license, AKA OUPV captain license. Or better stated How to apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential National Deck Officer endorsement. That is the official category of endorsement for Master, Mate, and OUPV captain licenses.

While this post is about getting a 6 pack license, the steps can be used to get any captain license. Just change the days of experience.

The complete list of steps, along with help pages, and links to all the USCG forms is available on the ColPac Maritime website. What follows here is the short version.

How to get a 6 pack license: 1. Document your experience

The first thing to do is document your sea service experience on form CG 719S. Help with this form >>

To clarify, the 6 pack requires 360-DAYS over your lifetime. For the ocean route, 90 of these days must past the end of the jetties.

Use this sea service list for other licenses

If you don’t have enough days, than don’t waste your time and money with the remaining steps until you do. 

How to get a 6 pack license: 2. TWIC, first-aid, CPR

Enroll in the TWIC program. Most important, save your receipt as proof of enrollment. And include it with your application.

Take a standard first aid / CPR course. This course should be from the American Red Cross (ARC). To clarify, courses from other providers must have a USCG approval code on the certificate.

3. USCG application forms

There are three main USCG forms. They are available from the National Maritime Center website.


Firstly 719K Physical Exam form. The physical exam must be completed on this form. Help with this form >>

Secondly 719P DOT/USCG Drug screening. This form is optional. But there are options on the back.

A Health Occupational Clinic is the best place to get this done. But most important make sure to use the Coast Guard forms.

Thirdly CG 719B Application for MMC. There are two important points about this form. Firstly: If you answer YES to any of the criminal background questions, complete form CG 719C. And secondly: Have your signature notarized. Help with this form >>

4. Pay the USCG fees and email to an REC

Pay the application fees online at the Gov.Pay website. They are $145.

Scan all these documents. And then email them to a USCG Regional Exam Center (REC). Don’t forget to include your receipts.

Email instructions >>

5. Lastly: Exams or approved course

When the application has been approved you will receive an approval to test. Here the mariner has a choice. Either take the exams at an REC, OR complete an approved course.

The USCG accepts approved course completion certificates in lieu of taking the exams. Columbia Pacific (ColPac) Maritime offers approved courses for captain licenses. As well as other courses too.


In conclusion, the order of the steps is not as important as the steps themselves. The reality is that most mariners take the course first. But it is not a requirement. If fact, we recommend that you apply before taking the course.

If you have any questions please contact us. Above all, our business is helping mariners. However, selling courses is what we do to stay in business.

%d bloggers like this: