Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

These Frequently Asked Questions I receive over email. I am always happy to answer your questions. So, if you have a question regarding USCG licensing or Merchant Mariner Credentials please email it to

Above all, our business is helping mariners. However, selling courses is what we do to stay in business.

Frequently Asked Questions about the USCG forms

What USCG forms should I use? They are all expired.

Yes, all the USCG forms expired on 03/31/2021. However the Coast Guard has stated that these forms are valid until updated versions become available.

View All Coast Guard 719 forms on the NMC website

Frequently Asked Questions about sea service experience

How much sea service experience do I need?

Reference Post: Sea Service Benchmarks

How do I document my sea service experience?

Reference Post: Help Documenting sea service experience

FAQ about licensing

How do I apply for a Captain license?

Reference Post: How to get a 6-pack license and change the sea service numbers to fit the license you want.

Where do I send the application to?

Email the application to one of the 18 Regional Exam Center (REC) around the nation. However, I do recommend Portland REC. Their email address is

Instructions for emailing an application to an REC.

And what fees do I need to pay?

Pay the application fee of $145 to the Coast Guard using the Pay.Gov website. Most important, save the receipt and send it with the application.

Who can complete the physical exam?

Form 719K states that any physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner may conduct the physical. That said, I recommend health occupation clinics because of their experience with these type of physicals and paperwork. Most important, use Coast Guard form 719K for the exam.

Help using form 719K

How do I renew my captain license?

Reference Post: How to renew a Captain License

Do I need STCW for Master 100, 200 or Master / Mate of fishing?

No. STCW does not apply to uninspected fishing industry vessels, seagoing vessels less than 200 GRT, or any vessel operating on Inland waters only.

FAQ about the school and course

What study materials do you recommend to prepare for the Captain course?

Therefore there is nothing to study before taking the course. To clarify, the course teaches everything you need to know. In addition, the course also assumes that you know nothing. No insult intended.

However, if you insist on studying before taking the course. Here are some free online pubs to look over.

  • Firstly the USCG Light List. This pub contains information on the US aids to navigation.
  • Secondly the US Coast Pilot. This pub contains local knowledge about US ports and harbors. Chapter 1 contains general information.
  • Thirdly the Rules of the Road. This pub contains collision avoidance regulations.

Is the school located in Portland or Coos Bay?

Columbia Pacific (ColPac) Maritime was located in Portland, Oregon until spring 2020. We relocated to Coos Bay, Oregon in April. And have been offering classes in Coos Bay since May 2020.

%d bloggers like this: