Fishing Vessel Captain

Professionally licensed captains are not required for fishing vessels less than 200 GRT, like the one pictured. However there are benefits to being licensed. Professionally licensed Fishing Vessel Captain is required for fishing industry vessel greater than 200 GRT.

Fishing Vessel Captain Fishing vessels more than 200 GRT must have a licensed Fishing Vessel Captain in charge. And, in addition, a licensed mate, or captain, must be on the… Continue reading Fishing Vessel Captain

Towing Endorsements

Master of Towing, Mate (Pilot) of Towing, and Apprentice Mate (steersman) of Towing are the three Towing Endorsements. Learn how to get licensed and go from deckhand to wheelhouse.

Towing endorsements include Master, Mate (Pilot), and Apprentice Mate (steersman) of Towing. When issued without a tonnage limitation these endorsements apply to seagoing tugs of less than 300 GRT; OR to any size tug working exclusively on inland waters. In short this article focuses on the quickest and easiest path from deckhand to Master of Towing by identifying the sea service benchmarks.

Deck Rating AB or OS

Deck Rating AB or OS. You need an AB or OS to work as deckhand on seagoing vessels greater than 100 GRT.

In conclusion the OS is an entry level apprentice rating. While the AB is a journeyman rating. In contrast, holding a Master or Mate does not qualify you as an AB. Your MMC must say AB to work as a deckhand on seagoing vessels 100 GRT and greater. The biggest mistake that a mariner can make is NOT getting an AB. The result being that too many career opportunities are missed without it.