Master 100-ton class – FAQ
I am emailing to inquire about your Master 100-ton class. Are your classes a classroom setting or are they at your own pace type class. Also, what does the schedule look like for the ten days of the class.FAQ
Master 100-ton class
The Master 100-ton class is ten consecutive days. Meaning it starts on a Monday and ends 10-days later on a Wednesday. The doors open by 7:00AM. Class starts at 7:30AM and goes until about 4:30PM daily. We break for lunch from 11:30 to 12:30.
We use a classroom setting were all students in the class move thru the class together. There are three subject areas.
The first subject is Navigation. This includes both general knowledge and chart navigation.
The second subject is Rules of the Road. This is an in-depth look at the collision avoidance rules and regs.
The third subject is Deck General and Safety. This covers knowledge of seamanship, safety, and the regs that apply to the safe operation of small passenger vessels.
Each subject contains multiple lessons. A lesson will take an hour to complete. Some less and some more depending on the lesson. Each lesson broken into three parts.
Firstly, the delivery. An instructor introduces the lesson and states the learning outcome. Then the instructor discusses explains and or demonstrates a concept, idea, or skill.
Secondly, the learning exercise. The student completes a learning exercise to demonstrate the concept, idea, or skill as stated in the learning outcome. During the learning exercise one or more instructors move around the classroom assisting students as necessary. They provide additional instruction, demonstration, or simply answer questions.
Lastly the lesson debriefing. An instructor debriefs the learning exercise to ensure that all students have successfully demonstrated learning outcome for the lesson.
Each day ends with a homework assignment that reviews the days lessons. And each day starts with a debriefing of that homework assignment.
In conclusion 99% of our students pass the class. This is because of the following reasons.
- Firstly, the homework reviews key points daily.
- Secondly, each new lesson builds on the skills learned in the last lesson.
- Thirdly, skill and knowledge groups are continuously reviewed.
- Lastly, student questions are encouraged and fully answered.
Columbia Pacific (ColPac) Maritime offers classes that focus on MMC National Deck Endorsements for vessels of 200-ton and less, including towing vessels. Several things make us unique from other schools.
- Firstly, classes are scheduled over consecutive days, seven-days a week.
- Secondly, students do NOT memorize an endless number of Coast Guard questions, we actually teach the subject material.
- Thirdly, we will never cancel a class due to low enrollment. In short, we will teach a class for one student.
- Fourthly, we always try to answer the phone, but if we are busy leave a message and we will always call you back ASAP. 503-841-6066
- Lastly, our partnership with Southwestern Oregon Community College (SWOCC) provides us with the opportunity to give back to the community through lower prices and donations to SWOCC Foundation.